Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Japanese Slipper



"For a green, fruity drink, it's not bad!" ~~ David Boatwright

I was looking for a green drink, in honor of St. Patrick's Day. I found the popular Midori cocktail - the Japanese Slipper - and decided to try it out.

Midori was first manufactured by Suntory (which I remember fondly from the movie "Lost in Translation") in 1978. It's coming out party was held at the famous Studio54 club in Manhattan. It was originally manufactured in Japan, but is now made exclusively in Mexico.

Midori is Japanese for Green. And green it definitely is. The Japanese Slipper is one of a handful of typical cocktails made with Midori. Midori is so sweet that the flavors have to be balanced with something a little tart.

David's Swizzle Stick Ratings:
The Japanese Slipper - 3 Swizzle Sticks

If it hadn't been green, he probably would have given it more, which was a total surprise to me.

The Japanese Slipper - 3 oz. Midori, 3 oz. Cointreau, 1 oz. lemon juice. Chill a Martini cocktail glass. In a shaker mix the Midori, Cointreau and lemon juice with crushed ice. Place a maraschino cherry in the bottom of the chilled glass and strain the cocktail into the glass.

I liked this one as well. And really, what else am I going to do with all this Midori leftover?

1 comment:

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Looks good! I'm sure if you google "midori" you'll come up with about 1000 uses for your leftovers. :)