Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Mamaw's Coconut Cake

My grandmother is known for her coconut cake.  She makes them all the time for church, family reunions, friends, holidays, etc.  I decided to make her recipe for Easter and it was delicious!

In addition to being a big hit, it was simple to make and only took 5 ingredients.

1 yellow cake mix
16 oz. sour cream (I used light)
2 cups sugar (could easily be cut back)
14 oz. shredded coconut
1 cup heavy cream

Make the cake according to the packaged directions.

Once cooled, slice the cakes in half so that you have 4 layers.

Mix the sour cream and sugar.  Put a little on the cake plate to anchor it.  Then beginning layering the cake.  Between each layer add the sour cream/sugar mixture and sprinkle with coconut.


Once all 4 layers are in place, whip the heavy cream and add to the remaining sour cream/sugar mixture and add the coconut.

Frost the cake and refrigerate. At first it seemed like the frosting was sort of making a mess of the cake.


But once it chilled I was able to go back over the frosting so that it looked more cake like!



I garnished it with strawberries and it was really wonderful.

According to my grandmother, it's better to make the cake a day or so ahead of time.  It's great served chilled.

If you make it, let me know how it turns out!

No comments: