In 2013 we took on a ton of house projects. Exterior paint, new gutters, new roof, chimney repair, repaired garage doors, new porch screens, the list really goes on.
This year I wasn't looking for anything big, but did want to fix a few things in this house that I love so much.
I may be done (???) for the year. Although I had a couple of unexpected repairs last month, I also took on a couple of little projects that I wanted to share with you.
Tying Up Cords
I have a photo somewhere and I can't find it now.
We have cords that are a jumbled mess in a couple of spots in the house - especially near electronics. I purchased black velcro cord ties from amazon and asked David to improve the look. He fixed all the cords around the house so they look a lot cleaner now. It wasn't a big project, but it was an eyesore and I'm so thankful he and Thomas took on the challenge.
I Love You Because
I saw this quick little project by Lulabelle on Pinterest and duplicated it (down to the fonts) for our master bath.
It's just a card inside a small frame and a dry erase marker tucked behind the frame for writing a quick note.
Our house is 30 years old and the grout in the master shower was certainly showing its age. I have tried all sorts of products to clean the stained grout. It's just bothered me for the 9 years we've lived here. A contractor who remodeled Thomas's bathroom a few years ago is working on a friend's bath. I asked him for advice and he fixed me up one night!
As always, these photos don't do the results justice.
But, here is the before. As clean as I could get it.
And, the after! Soooo much better. Looks brand new.
He ground out a lot of the old grout with a drill bit and used an epoxy as he had in Thomas's bathroom.
A benefit is that it never stains. I love it.
Above the Cabinet Solution
We have tall cabinets in the kitchen and above one has been a decorating struggle for me while we've lived here.
Here is the surface I'm talking about, taken from the loft. This is before we even moved in.
Ugh, those white cabinets - luckily we got those painted pretty quick. And the butcher block was so lifeless. But I digress.
I started with a few baskets but that was just pretty sad.
And then I placed a lot of Mexican pots that I loved - but they just got lost up there. They looked great across the room on the other side, but here, you just couldn't see them.
Then a friend of a friend decorator came over and told me the solution was easy - a baker's rack to take advantage of all the pretty pots. So, she got it up there and decorated for me, but I certainly never loved it. And David hated it. And they rattled every time you walked past. But it was better than before. (notice she put it up with the price tag still on. grr)
From the other angle and with the price tag cut off, I still didn't like it but had no idea what to do.
Then, along came my new BFF Gina.
Graphic designer, decorator, and wedding florist extraordinaire. And really, really sweet person.
She walked in and said - oh it's easy Bonnie - let's get a big piece of art and I'll get a couple of pretty plants for the two big pots. Boom. Obvious.
I asked David what he thought, he gave me a thumbs up, I narrowed down a few paintings online, we chose one, and just like that a 9 year dilemma was solved.
Of course, then we had to hang the painting 15 feet high (from the other side), and get the trees in the pots, but minor details.
Please don't say anything but that you love this.
Because I certainly do. AGAIN, my photos don't do it justice.
You'll just have to see it for yourself.
Before, recent, and now
As you can imagine I'm truly very happy with all the changes around here :)