Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Monday, June 7, 2010

Photo Art





I saw this really cute photo art project at the Shanty 2 Chic sisters website back at Christmas and I was excited to try it out.

I followed their directions pretty much to a T, but I'll show you below how I put this together.  I took this large picture from Goodwill ($5) and discarded all but the cardboard backing and the frame.  It's hard to see in this dark picture but the frame was a dark green.


I then gathered a collection of Dollar Store frames and placed them the way I thought they'd work.  I also got a fleur de lis applique from Hobby Lobby for $.40.  I sprayed painted the frames and the applique with Rustoleum Canyon Black.  That was really fun.  I haven't spray painted much before, but I'm already looking around for what else I can spray!




I took a $1 piece of burlap and covered the cardboard.  I sprayed Elmers adhesive down and laid the burlap on top of it.


Then I flipped it over and trimmed the edges and hot glued them down.  Then I placed the burlap-covered carboard back in the frame.

I found these magnetic clips at Walmart (4 for $2) and hot glued them and the black frames onto the burlap.



Along with the fleur de lis.



Then turned some old photos black and white, cut them to fit and clipped them in.


I think it turned out really cute.  Here it is hanging on the wall along the stairs.  I like the coloring and that you can change out the pictures really easily by just clipping them in. 

The total cost was about $11 for the frames, applique, clips, burlap and printing off the pictures at Target.

If I were to do another one I would start with a larger frame and then use 8x10s as well as 5x7s for the interior frames.  But this was the largest frame Goodwill had when we went and I think it worked out pretty well.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

This is super cute! I have been thinking about changing out my old multi photo frame, but I might just do this instead! Thanks for sharing.

Anna said...

I really like this idea, thanks for sharing!