Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Scarlet Lady and The Black-Eyed Susan

It has been MONTHS since I tried out any new cocktails. I hosted a Lia Sophia party Friday and decided it was a great time to try out a couple of new drinks.


I started with The Scarlet Lady at my friend Rebecca's request. It sounded much like sangria but doesn't take as long to make. It also sounded refreshing for a summer evening so I gave it a try. I liked it, but prefer sangria. If you like a good red wine, you'll enjoy this cocktail.

The Scarlet Lady - 1 bottle good, bold red wine. I used a cabernet. 1 1/2 cups club soda, 1/2 cup orange juice. Diced fruit - orange, apple, peach. Place the diced fruit in a pitcher and add the red wine. Chill for 30 minutes. Add the orange juice and stir. When ready to serve, add the club soda. Serve in a wine glass over ice.

I had a Black-Eyed Susan at a baby shower down south years ago and loved it so thought I'd give it a try. It's another great summer drink with the abundance of sweet cherries available. Tastes much like a mimosa, but quite a bit stronger!

Black-Eyed Susan - 4 cups orange juice, 2 1/2 cups pineapple juice, 1/2 cup light Rum, 1/2 cup Vodka, 1/4 cup Grand Marnier. Garnish with a fresh cherry with stem and a piece of lime. In a pitcher mix the juices. Add the Rum and Vodka and stir. Chill until 30 minutes before serving. Add the Grand Marnier and serve over crushed ice in a wine glass. Place a cherry in the cocktail and it will slowly travel to the bottom of the glass to be eaten after the cocktail is finished. Garnish with a piece of lime.

I much preferred the Black-Eyed Susan (as did most of my guests). But I'd make them both again sometime.

David stuck to a Dos Equis and didn't give either cocktail a try. I'll instead give the Black-Eyed Susan 4 swizzle sticks, and the Scarlet Lady 3.

Now I need more cocktail ideas!

No comments: