Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Movie Recommendations

Since I have been down with the flu for more than a week, I have had plenty of time to catch up on Netflix and movies on TV.  It's been great seeing movies I haven't seen before ("Singing in the Rain") and re-watching others ("Ocean's Eleven"). 

Here are a few movies that probably are not well-known but that I would highly recommend.  They might not all be your typical taste, but I think they're all worth a shot.  If you end up watching any of them, let me know what you think!

"An Ideal Husband" - I saw this in the theater 10 years ago (or so) and really liked it.  This was an Oscar Wilde play.  Rupert Evert, Cate Blanchett, and Minnie Driver are terrific in it.  It's whip smart, romantic, and I just love the one-liners.


"Dear Frankie" - I rented this last year and really liked it.  Gerard Butler is wonderful in it - much better than in the romantic comedies he's been in lately.  I confess I haven't seen him in "300" or the other action movies he's been in, even though my friend Christie thinks I really, really, really should.  And I think Emily Mortimer is very good.  And little Frankie is so good.


"Lars and the Real Girl" - speaking of Emily Mortimer, she is great as Lars's sister-in-law in this tale.  This one starts out very, very strange and you question your sanity for renting it, but it is good.  Give it a shot.  David watched this one with me and we both liked it quite a bit.  Lars's brother is now in "Parks and Recreation" on Thursday nights.  Ryan Gosling from "The Notebook" is a great actor.  I think my favorite character in this movie is the doctor.


"Grosse Pointe Blank" - one of my favorite movies of all times.  I originally watched this with friends during my 10 year high school reunion weekend xxxx years ago :)  John Cusack is wonderful and I really like Minnie Driver.  LOVE the music in this film.


"Possession" - anyone from England reading this will be boo-ing me.  The book that this movie was based on was a huge bestseller in the UK several years back.  I understand there was outrage over casting two Americans in the lead roles.  I think the story is fascinating and I thought the modern day characters (Gwyneth Paltrow and Aaron Eckhart) do a good job.  The 1800s characters played by Jennifer Ehle (Pride & Prejudice) and Jeremy Northam (Emma) are fantastic actors. 



"Emma" - and speaking of Gwyneth Paltrow and Jeremy Northam, I really like "Emma".  I recently began watching the Jane Austen movies and like them all.  "Sense and Sensibility" is great, I like the "Pride and Prejudices" but there's something about this version of "Emma" that I especially enjoy.


So there are a few movie recommendations from me.  I'd love to hear your suggestions as well!

No comments: