Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What I've Been Reading - December 2012


Hello, hello!  I completely missed posting a What I've Been Reading post last month, so I'll catch up on the last several weeks of books.
 
 
 


 
 I finished Ally Carter's "Gallagher Girls" books with the 5th one. Now I have to wait a few months for the 6th and final one to come out - then what will I do? I've shared my love for this young adult series. It's my kind of book - smartly written, engaging characters, some mystery, some romance, and it's a series. It's the kind of series I wouldn't mind having on my shelf at home, and would easily recommend this to young ladies who like to read!
 
One sentence goodreads.com description - With more than a million Gallagher Girls books sold, a legion of fans have fallen in love with the "New York Times "best-selling spy-girl series, and the fifth book delivers the most nerve-wracking, high-stakes adventure yet.
 
Loved It
 
 

 
Mama Gena's advice book was a gift that I felt compelled to open.  At first I thought I would enjoy it, but quickly realized this just wasn't for me.  I passed it on to another friend.  If you feel like you have lost yourself a bit and want to get your groove back, this is the book for you.  Otherwise, I say pass.
 
One sentence goodreads.com description - So if you need a refresher course in fun -- and you know you do -- come to Mama.
 
Didn't Like It
 
 

An author friend recommended Everybody Sees the Ants as something completely different in the world of Young Adult literature.  I thought the writing was superb, but had a hard time with the subject matter.  Main character Lucky being bullied made my stomach turn.  Lucky daydreaming himself into the POW camp that his grandfather disappeared from, somewhat disturbing.  Compelling, but not the kind of book that I want to take to bed at night.  I think for young men, this would be a good read.
 
One sentence goodreads.com description - Michael L. Printz Honor recipient A.S. King's smart, funny and boldly original writing shines in this powerful novel about learning to cope with the shrapnel life throws at you and taking a stand against it.
 
It was OK
 
 

 
Friends who also love Ally Carter's "Gallagher Girls" series couldn't believe I hadn't read her "Heist Society" series as well.  Never heard of it. 
 
I picked the first two up at the library and truthfully couldn't get into the first one that well.  Then I read the second one and LOVED it, so I went back and re-read the first one. 
 
OK, I get it now. 
 
While the Gallagher Girls is about young ladies in a spy school, the Heist Society is about an extended family whose business is high stakes thieving, although the younger generation is doing it to right wrongs versus for profit. 
 
It's an engaging series and apparently Drew Barrymore is directing it for the big screen soon.  The third in the series comes out in February.  Again - I highly recommend this series for young ladies who like a little mystery.
 
Really Liked It
 
 
 

In the airport on our way back from Hawaii, David pointed this book out to me with a smile.
Having never heard of it, I read the reviews online and ordered it from amazon right away. 
 
I think the review that got me was, "not only a story about Asperger's, but a love story as well". 
This memoir is about David Finch's pursuit to learn to manage his Asperger's traits in order to improve his marriage.  It's a pretty detailed account of what he learned once he was unofficially diagnosed by his wife, and how he addressed their issues head-on.  It's hilarious (I read several passages aloud to David on our Thanksgiving drive), touching, and very relatable.
 
One sentence goodreads.com description - Guided by the Journal of Best Practices, David transforms himself over the course of two years from the world’s most trying husband to the husband who tries the hardest, the husband he’d always meant to be.
 
Loved It
 
 
And that's what I've Been Reading!

No comments: