Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Kamikaze


Today we attempted The Kamikaze. There is not a lot of history to this smooth drink. The legend is that it was named during the American occupation of Japan immediately after WWII. The drink was created at a bar called "GI's" on the Yokosuka Base near Tokyo.

David liked this drink because it wasn't overpowering in any way. Shaking it with crushed ice seems to dilute the lime juice's tartness too. The classic Kamikaze uses 1.5 oz. of lime juice but I knew that would be too tart. So I modified it below.

David's Swizzle Stick Rating:
The Kamikaze - 4 swizzle sticks


The Kamikaze - 1.5 oz. Vodka, 1.5 oz. Triple Sec, .75 oz. lime juice. Mix all ingredients in a shaker filled with crushed ice. Shake well and strain into a Martini cocktail glass. Garnish with a wedge of lime.

I'm on antibiotics so just took a sip of this one. It's clean and mild much like the Mojito and Tom Collins so I'm sure I could tolerate it just fine!

Yeah! It's March 1st. Think Spring!

3 comments:

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

I had no idea that's what was in a Kamikaze.

I like it!! I'll try it! I'll be an alcoholic in no time if I keep reading this stuff!! Ha ha!

Scott said...

In college, a Kamikaze was lemon/lime soda and copious amounts of grain alcohol. But we weren't being purists back then!

www.AForestFrolic.typepad.com said...

All I gotta say is YUM! That was the drink my husband used to order me when we first started dating...hahah, haven't had one in a while, but they are good! Only a 4 on the swizzle stick rating...come on David, hehe?

Jamie :-)