Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Amaretto Sour


Yum. Now this is my kind of cocktail.

Amaretto is a sweet almond flavored liqueur originally from Italy. It is made from a base of apricot and almond pits. It became especially popular in the 1970s in the United States after Disarrono Amaretto became widely available. I talked about this cocktail when we made the Whiskey Sour in January. Every recipe that I found for the Amaretto Sour called for Sweet & Sour Mix. I thought I didn't like this mix, but found out that it must have been the brand. This one was OK.

Now, for those of you who like your drinks as close to the grain as you can get them, this is not the drink for you. Those of us who prefer not tasting the alcohol, I highly recommend the Amaretto Sour.

David liked the cocktail but did think it was too sweet. His actual words were that it needed more Vodka. Confusing since there is no Vodka in this drink!

David's Swizzle Stick Ratings:
4 Swizzle Sticks

The Amaretto Sour - 3 oz. Sweet and Sour mix, 1.5 oz. Amaretto. Pour over wet ice in an Old Fashioned or a Tom Collins cocktail glass. Swizzle and garnish with a maraschino cherry.

No comments: