Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Two Soups - Potato & Corn and Three Bean

We tried out two new soups this weekend - a Potato/Corn and a Three Bean. Both were really good, but I made enough to feed a family of 10. I never know what you can freeze and what you can't. We'll see if we can't eat these up in the next day or so.

First up was the potato&corn soup. The boys and I probably blended it too much. I think it would have been better with more potato chunks. But it was good and I would make it again, especially in the dead of winter. It would really hit the spot. I got this recipe from a neighbor at a potluck a couple of years back.

Potato & Corn Soup
2 Tbsp olive oil
5 cups chicken broth
1/2 small yellow onion, finely diced
5 large baking potatoes
2 cups frozen corn
1 1/2 cups half-n-half (you could probably use milk)
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: dollop of sour cream, bacon crumbles, and Tobasco

Heat the olive oil and onion in a soup pot, cooking until the onions are softened. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add peeled and diced potatoes. Cook on low heat for 20 minutes. Puree soup with a hand blender. Add corn and half-n-half. Add several dashes of Tabasco (optional), and salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low until heated through - about 15 minutes. Garnish with sour cream and bacon.


My favorite soup appliance.




Delicious!



Next up is a yummy crockpot soup - another recipe from a potluck - this time at church. Recipes that people bring to church are always the best. David really liked this one although the kids didn't try it. They're not big beef eaters.

Three Bean Soup
1 large can of baked beans (we used Bush's Country Style)
2 cans of white beans (I used cannelini and pinto)
1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
10 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c vinegar
2 Tbsp molasses or maple syrup

Put everything into the crockpot - beans should not be drained. Cook for 4 hours+, stirring occasionally.

I made rice to go with this and David ate his soup over rice, gumbo-style. I think it's great by itself and with some crusty bread. The vinegar gives this a nice kick and the bacon gives it a smoky flavor. It doesn't really need any additional spices, although I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

mmmmmmm....


Enjoy!

No comments: