Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Who can take a sunrise, sprinkle it with dew?

Cover it in chocolate and a miracle or two?
The candy man can 'cause he mixes it with love
And makes the world taste good.




Brennan and I went to see "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" today at our local independent theater.  It was the original version, made the year I was born - 1971 - so the really old one as Brennan says.

Bren loves this movie.  It brings back great memories because I first learned about this book in the 6th grade.  Mr. O'Donnell read the book to us while we ate our lunch in the classroom each day in Ansbach, Germany.  A few years later I saw the movie and have always liked it.




Us as the lights were dimming

I have never liked the fact that Grandpa Joe was bedridden for 20 years but once Charlie won the golden ticket, he just hopped out of bed and danced a jig.  Hmmm......


And how fortunate that Grandpa Joe and Charlie didn't get shipped home when they decide not to follow the rules and drank the fizzy drinks, floating up to the ceiling.  The other 4 kids weren't so lucky - they broke the rules and were out of there.

The Oompa Loompas were great.




I read awhile back that Charlie (Peter Ostrum is his name I think) retired from the movie business after this movie.  He's a vet in New England I believe.


Hard to imagine anyone other than Gene Wilder playing Willy Wonka.  While I like Johnny Depp, his Willy Wonka was just strange.



Brennan has a thing for musicals made in the 1965-1971 range.  I'm not sure what it is.  But among his favorites are "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang", "Mary Poppins", and "Sound of Music" and of course, Willy Wonka.  I have to admit - they are pretty great.

Brennan loved it so I am glad I was able to join him.  It was a lot of fun to see it on the big screen!









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it