Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Monday, March 28, 2011

Goodreads and Book Lists


In January I discovered goodreads.com and am really enjoying this reading website.
It's a great place to list the books I've read, want to read, or am currently reading. 
I include a couple of my goodsreads lists on my blog sidebar.
And I set a Reading Challenge for myself all on the site.
Another thing I really like about Goodsreads is the opportunity to learn about new books to add to my to-read list.  I'm goodreads friends with a number of readers I know, and many I don't know.  But we have a lot of books in common so I know what they add to their lists might be of interest.  Are you on goodreads?  If so, friend me!

What I'm finding is - there are so many good books out there, and so little time to get to them all!
I've gotten a lot of inspiration from the following lists that I thought I'd share.


It's odd but I believe I've read more books from the 1800s than I have from the 2000s. 
So when I saw "Entertainment Weekly's" list of favorite new classics, it gave me a great idea of what more current books to consider.



The U.K. paper The Telegraph published its list "100 Best Books:  The Perfect Library" a few years ago.  From ancient classics to the 2000s - it's a comprehensive list.



The National Endowment for the Humanities worked with public and private schools to compile their
I have not read enough classic children's literature apparently so I'm starting to go back and look at some this year.  This list is sorted by grade level.



In 1998 the Modern Library @ Random House released its "100 Best" list that prompted a number of other publishers to do the same.  You can find the Modern Library's 100 Best Books, 100 Best Novels, 100 Best Non-Fiction Books, and Radcliff's 100 Best Novels lists here.


A list titled "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" on listology 5 years ago has developed quite a following.  There are a number of blogs and goodreads.com devotees focused on reading and discussing these works.  I took a look and it's apparent I haven't read a fraction of those listed here.  Oh well, it still gave me some good ideas to add to my "to-read" list!


Finally, the BBC "Big Read" project in 2003 compiled the top 200 novels according to BBC readers. 

Of course, the New York Times and Amazon have their current bestsellers lists and their annual bestseller lists that are easy to mine for great titles as well.

Again, so many great books, so little time!



Don't forget about the Reading Party which takes places on the 20th of every month.
Ricki Jill and I would love to hear what you're reading!

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

LindyLouMac said...

I agree with that Goodreads is a great site and very user friendly. As an avid reader have you discovered Bookcrossing.com and Bookmooch.com yet? You can find me with the same LLM nickname on both if you are interested.