Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Crazy May

I honestly don't remember May being this busy normally.  I don't think we've stopped going, going, going since April.  It's evident in my lack of blog posts, and the fact that I haven't been to the movie theater since March 23rd for The Hunger Games!

I'm in the middle of a lot of volunteer responsibilities, the boys' school work & projects have been non-stop, and we've been working in the yard a lot.  A ton of house maintenance has all come up at once.  I'm so looking forward to the summer!

Here's a little catch up for the past couple of weeks.


I got new glasses.  Actually these are my first real glasses.  I should wear them when I read, then can wear them any other time too, but it's weird so I wear them when I think about it.  They're awesome though.  And don't I look smarter? :)


A couple of weeks ago I met friends at a hotel downtown for dinner and drinks.  The boys had been dying to go play at The Commons playground downtown, so I took them with me. 

They love checking out the Chaos sculpture in the Commons.
It's really cool - it tells the time (I don't know how, but the boys do).



Since Lora, Tricia, and I gabbed for hours at dinner, the boys entertained themselves by playing with the board games and reading in the cool hotel lobby after eating.

And of course, playing with hotel resident Miles. 
Thomas would bring him home if he could.  Miles is awesome.


On the way back to the car after dinner and Miles time - I had to quick snap this photo of the boys, walking together.  They really do get along well.  MOST of the time :)

Thomas has been enjoying being a part of the Junior High Youth Group at church this year.
They had a grill-out and bake sale to raise money for the Presbyterian church in Henryville, IN that was devastated by the tornadoes two months ago.  Youth Group wraps up in two weeks for the summer, and I know he'll miss it every week until school starts back.



Thomas had to career shadow as a 6th grader and write a paper, presentation, and create a poster for the career he is interested in.  He delivered the final product today and said it went really, really well.
He shadowed the corporate architect at Cummins.  She was fantastic and he learned a lot.


Spring is a busy time for friends' birthdays.  The boys have enjoyed swim parties, skating parties, and Katie's party below at the Laser Tag place.  Cute picture sent by Katie's mom.


Thomas also had to invent something, make the product, and deliver a presentation on it at school.  All the parents are invited to the Invention Convention on Monday to see all the 6th grade inventions.  We're looking forward to attending that.
Thomas invented a Nose Muff - you know like an ear muff but to keep your nose from getting cold in the winter.  He delivered his presentation yesterday and apparently it was a hit.  This is part of the marketing for the poster that he created.

 
(Yes, we know Peyton is no longer a Colt, but we love him anyway).


We have been soooo busy with yard work and I love it. 
Of course, we love to get the boys in on all the fun.  Here they are spreading 3 yards of mulch that I had delivered.  They were a big help, but it was a tough job.


Between David, the boys, and me, we have done tons of weeding, mulching, weedeating, mowing, trimming dead limbs, power washing, pruning, planting, watering, cleaning, fixing, and pool opening over the last 3 weeks.  The yard is looking really good though.

David and the boys gave me beautiful perennials for Mother's Day and David bought a new weedeater at my request.  I love it!  We also went out to dinner and spent the entire day together, which was really great.

Brennan had a HUGE research project on a famous Hoosier that started in mid-March.  This project is a culmination of all they've learned about the researching, organizing, writing, and presenting processes this year.  Brennan's "Hoosier" is Wilbur Wright.  He struggled through the research piece but made huge improvements throughout the process.  His poster and 10 minute presentation were really, really well done.  He got A's on both (which is NOT easy to do in his class).  He was thrilled and we were thrilled for him.  I'll have to take a photo of him with his poster when we get it back from school.

Thomas and all the 6th grade band members in town put on a great concert last week.
We were really impressed!  Thomas continues with Trumpet next year in Middle School.


And surely that's not all that's been going on around here??
It feels like many, many more commitments have been met, fun has been had, and projects completed. 

We're looking forward to finishing up the school year strong next week, having my mom and David's mom visit and attend Thomas's 6th grade graduation (gulp!), and then heading to Kentucky for my godson Scott's high school graduation (double gulp!) 

A great month!!!


No comments: