Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Friday, January 8, 2010

30 Years Ago Today...



I had heart surgery at Emory's Crawford Long Hospital in Atlanta.  The 100 year old hospital is apparently now called Emory University Hospital Midtown.

I was born with a coarctation (narrowing) of the aorta which caused a decrease in blood flow to my legs.  I was very active and my legs would get tired sometimes at gymanstics or when I was playing outside.  It certainly didn't feel that serious to me though.

I don't remember a whole lot about the stay in Atlanta or the next week at home before getting to return to the 4th grade.  Just snippets. 

The orange soap that I had to bathe in before the surgery. 
The excruciating needle they put in my hip just before the surgery. 
Hearing the surgeon (Dr. Williams) tell my parents it would be a 4 hour minimum surgery.
Having to walk up and down the corridor after surgery and the nurses telling me to stand up straight (although it was really hard to). 
Playing Simon with my mom in the hospital. 
The autograph stuffed dog that my doctors and nurses signed. 
My sister coming to the hospital before I left and my showing her how the cool adjustable bed worked. 
Being at home when my friends were back at school. 
And having a really long scar on my back that is still visible today.

It's amazing that I have no issues at all now.  I recently saw a cardiologist for an regular check-in and the heart is doing beautifully.  I guess the orange soap and needle were worth it!



No comments: