Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Pumpkin Bread Pudding

Bread Pudding - a basic dessert around these parts, but one I had never had before moving to Indiana. I don't know why. I've never chosen it on a restaurant menu. But then my aunt and grandmother were visiting a few years back and we went to the Hob Knob Cafe in Nashville, Indiana. I tried Bread Pudding, and it was wonderful. The texture, the sauce, the nuts. So earlier this week, Brennan and I tried a Pumpkin Bread Pudding recipe from Southern Living.

Brennan was not sure he had ever had Bread Pudding either. I can guarantee he hasn't because where would he get it that I wasn't there? Plus, usually on dessert menus there are offerings like "Death by Chocolate Molten Lava Cake" or "Largest Piece of Cheesecake You Can Imagine, with NO Fruit Sauce", or "Two Scoops of Whatever Ice Cream with Tons of Toppings and Whipped Cream" so anything that starts with "Bread" is completely overlooked.

Instead of typing out the entire recipe, I'm going to link it here. We followed the instructions and went with the "Try This Twist" version at the bottom of the recipe. I don't have decent sized ramekins (as David pointed out when we made individual chocolate souffles) so instead of investing in larger ramekins, I made the "one dish" version in a 13x9 pan.

It does not start out looking heavenly, but in the end, once you get the caramel pecan sauce on it, it's beautiful and delicious. Of course, I completely forgot to take an "after" picture - we all dived right in. But below is the "after" from Southern Living.

After it had been in the refrigerator all day, ready to go into the oven.


You can't go wrong with a Southern Living recipe, can you?



Thomas and Mamaw at the Hob Knob in Nashville. See - Thomas chose the Ice-Cream-Sundae-As-Big-As-Your-Head. And it was freeeeezing that day! It was January, snowing, icy, and miserable outside. And he chose ice cream over bread pudding. I'm so glad I didn't that day!

1 comment:

Pat Armstrong said...

Is that Aunt Hazel? I think that is my DH's aunt. I found you through We Are THAT Family.