Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

101 Places to See Before You're 12 - A Waterfall

A Waterfall

When I was in Hawaii in high school my friends and I took a hike to a waterfall one Saturday afternoon.  It was really beautiful and I'd love to do it again someday if I could only remember where it was!  Years ago before children, David and I went to Gatlinburg with friends for a long weekend.  We hiked to a waterfall there as well.  Two wonderful memories.

On our trip around Lake Michigan my mom and I took the boys to see two waterfalls. 

The first hike we took we passed beautiful scenery like this and we could hear the waterfall calling.

This waterfall is at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.

We hiked all around it.  Brennan was in love.  He says when he grows up he's going to live in this kind of forest and get all of his water from streams and lakes.

Just beautiful!  And especially nice because this was a surprise to me as well - I didn't realize there were waterfalls at Pictured Rocks in addition to the rock formations.

Then we drove across the Upper Peninsula to Tahquamenon Falls (rhymes with Phenomenon).  Here we hiked to see the Upper Falls.

This map shows where Tahquamenon Falls is located on the Upper Peninsula (see my red arrow).




Really pretty, and something you just can't see every day!


From the Book:
#14 - A Waterfall
Unless you happen to be accidentally going over one in a runaway raft, a waterfall is incredibly peaceful and inviting.  There's nothing like the sound of the rushing water:  even before you see the waterfall, you can hear it from a distance, calling you to come closer.  The misty spray from the falls feels deliciously cool on your skin (especially after the hike you took to get there), and the amazing sight of thousands of gallons of water tumbling over rocks takes your breath away.  And believe it or not, waterfalls even have their own smell - a kind of deep, earthy, watery scent.  A waterfall is a delightful experience for all your senses.