Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Photo-a-Day: Vegetable Eater

iPhone photo

Tuesday night after swimming Brennan chose where to go for dinner since Dad had plans.  He decided on a Chinese buffet.  While this is not my favorite pick, I also knew that the boys would get a good meal and I wouldn't have to cook. 

Brennan is a GREAT vegetable eater.  You see his first course here, and this doesn't count the mountain of cauliflower he had already eaten.  He loves broccoli, green beans, black beans, asparagus, mushrooms, peas, salad, and spinach on his sandwiches.  And no sauce - he prefers his vegetables raw, roasted, or steamed.

A couple of years ago I got tired of the pickiness at the dinner table.  I went on a quest to introduce more foods into the boys' diets and encourage them to try everything out, even if it ended up not being their favorites.  They had a dislike/like attitude that I was trying to change into a "scale of 1-10" way of looking at food.

I let them pick 2 things that I would never make them eat (raw tomatoes for both; mushrooms for Thomas), but everything else that had to have a good attitude about.  It has worked beautifully.  And even though we still have discussions and reminders, it has allowed us to open our minds to what we're willing to eat.  And it makes meal planning a lot easier for me!

Brennan still loves his sweets, but as long as he balances it with a good fruits/veggies habit, I'm all set!

1 comment:

Ricki Treleaven said...

I think it's great Brennan likes his veggies. My girls look at them most days as if they are toxic waste! :(