Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Thursday, December 8, 2011

What I've Been Reading

I am coming out with my recent reads list a little early this month. 
It's such a busy time of year, but I've been finding time to read a little and I wanted to share a couple of books with you!

Ricki-Jill recommended the Mortal Instruments series to me repeatedly once or twice!
I finally got the first one from the library, City of Bones.
This "young adult urban fantasy" series promises to be fast-paced and engaging somewhat along the same vein as the Twilight series.
As with the Twilight series, I can't say I was as swept up in the storylines as others have been, but I am invested enough in the characters to keep checking my library hold list to see if the second is yet available!

I don't remember where I first heard about Ready Player One but since I've been reading it, I hear about it everywhere I go.
I absolutely loved this book.
And really, there's no reason I should have.  It's about video gamers, of all things.
But it's a riveting adventure, so well written, full of nostalgia, underdog characters who are persistent and hopeful, and such a different world than I know.

This is, sadly, destined to be a movie that will in no way live up to the book or the great time I had reading it.


Finally, the Autobiography of Santa Claus. 

My mom sent us this book a few weeks ago to read as a family in December.  It's in 24 chapters. 
We got a late start, and I wasn't sure we'd get through the whole book, but I thought I'd give it a shot.
What a surprise how much we're all enjoying it!

Brennan does not like to be read to. 
Since he started reading on his own (years ago), he has not enjoyed having to listen to someone else read.
As with many things with Brennan, we gently insist on him trying some things, and he is usually surprised how much he likes something he didn't think he would.

This is a perfect example of that.

I thought we'd all take turns reading chapters from the book, but everyone is enjoying me reading it (in the car coming home from Terre Haute last weekend, on our bed at night, at the dinner table while everyone else is finishing their dinner...). 
And I can't get over it, but they beg for just one more chapter each time. 
It's been fun to read this together.  It's holding all of our attention.

My mom's book club read this last month.

This well-written Santa-narrative weaves world history, geography, Christianity, self-less giving, humor, and intrigue very well.
We still have several chapters to go, but I highly recommend this book - or pick it up for next year!



I'd love to hear what you've been reading lately!


No comments: