Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Day I Became "Mom"



While I'll celebrate THAT day that I became a mom in 2 weeks when my oldest turns 10 (yikes!), I'm really talking about a day recently when I became "Mom".

I noticed this spring that Thomas wasn't really calling me by any name.  I've been "Mommy" all these years and loved it.  I figured at some point there would be a transition, and I figured it was happening.

I've also been thinking that Thomas would talk to us about there being no Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, or Tooth Fairy, but he has not yet.  I think he still believes, or he's trying not to hurt our feelings so he's keeping it to himself until his younger brother is ready to admit it as well!

And that's what I think has been happening with "Mommy".  He didn't want to hurt my feelings, sweet boy.

And then he gave me a Mother's Day gift that he had made at school in art class.  It was wrapped and addressed to "Bonnie".  I knew then that he had not wanted to write "Mommy" on it and be teased by the other 4th graders.  So he played it safe.


Finally a few weeks ago I told Thomas that if he wanted to call me "Mom" he could.  He has tried it out and it works for him.  It still jars me a little when he says it, but I try not to show it because I don't want to hurt his feelings.  Gee, wonder where he gets it from :)

Luckily, I'm still "Mommy" to someone else - at least for now.


No comments: