Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Coronado Island


After getting up at 3:30 a.m., driving an hour to the airport, spending a day touring Salt Lake City and two flights, we arrived in San Diego.  After getting the rental car we went straight to Coronado Island.  It was worth it!

My first visit to San Diego was in 1997 and I loved it.  I was there with my boss for a work conference that time.  We toured Coronado Island one evening.  On our trip I was so excited to take my family to see it.

The drive over the Bay Bridge is worth the visit alone.  It's just beautiful.  But the Hotel del Coronado is one of the other highlights, for me at least.

I have a print in our family room of the hotel from one of my earlier visits there, and I have a Christmas ornament of this round portion of the hotel that I've had all these years.

The hotel is pretty famous.  Plenty of dignitaries and celebrities have stayed there over the years.  And the movie "Some Like it Hot" with Marilyn Monroe, Jack Lemmon, and Tony Curtis has a couple of famous scenes shot at the hotel.
(from Google Images)

(from Google Images)

But we weren't there to tour the hotel.  We were there for the beach!  The boys had not stepped a toe in the Pacific Ocean since they were little in Mexico.  Although we weren't yet dressed for the beach, we had a good time walking around anyway.



We had a yummy Mexican dinner that night near the hotel and returned to Coronado to play in the waves and the sand on our last evening in San Diego.  It's certainly one of the highlights of our trip!


No comments: