Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Yummy Summer Vegetable Recipes


This year we joined our local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture).  Our CSA is a local farm that has a store where they sell their fruits and vegetables along with other local products.  This year we bought a half-share.  We pick up a bag FULL of great produce every Wednesday.

It's been fun learning to cook vegetables I haven't cooked much before.  And it's been a great chance to introduce the boys to foods they previously wouldn't touch.  We're learning to be less-picky eaters.  They've done great!

Our CSA's Facebook page profile photo:

In addition to our bag of goodies each week, our CSA gives us a little newsletter with great recipes.  This year I replaced my old frying pan that had seen better days with one that could go from stovetop to the oven.  It's been great for frittatas - which was one of the recipes from the CSA newsletter.

A frittata is super easy.  And versatile.  I've made them for breakfast, as a main dish, and as a side dish.

You saute 4 cups of chopped vegetables of your choice in a little olive oil.  Once the vegetables are soft, you pour 6 beaten eggs over the vegetables, and then sprinkle with cheese.  Then cook in a 350 oven for 30 minutes.  And serve.  So easy and so good.

In the one below I did spinach and chopped asparagus and added a little leftover Canadian bacon.


I do one with red potatoes a lot.  I usually saute the potatoes for a little while before adding the other vegetables to equal 4 cups of vegetables total, since the potatoes take a few minutes more to soften.

My family loves this dish.  Fast and easy, and healthy!

We've also been getting a lot of eggplants lately.  The boys had never had it.  The recipe I used for the ones below was quick and easy.  Halve the eggplants and cut out the eggplant "meat".  Chop it and saute it with onion.  Mix it with tomato sauce, salt and pepper.  Fill the eggplant havles and top with a mixture of breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.  Cook for 30 minutes at 350.

Yesterday we picked up our CSA bag and got a new kind of watermelon - a sugarberry watermelon.  It's dark green and is the sweetest, juiciest watermelon I've ever tasted!  It was really delicious.

Gotta love this time of year for the produce alone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site theboatwrightfamily.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

Vickie said...

I love frittatas- have not made one in a while. Since the hubs heart attack we don't buy to many eggs. He will be out of town next week so maybe I will make myself one.