Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Monday, October 24, 2011

What We're Reading #9


Welcome to our Linky Party!

Boy, as co-hostess I feel bad for being so late to the big day but we were on vacation so this is my first chance to link up.
If you haven't had a chance to link up your latest reading post - please do so at Ricki Jill's blog.
And check in on the others who've linked up to find some great new reads!

I finished up the Twilight series over the last month and really liked them.
I have to say that I enjoyed the Harry Potter and Hunger Games series a little more, but did like this series and am glad I finally read it!


Can't wait to see the final book's Part 1 movie next month.
I'm sure the chick flick movie club I'm in will have tickets on opening night!


While enjoying those crazy vampires, I also read a couple of good parenting books and wanted to share this one in particular.
I like the way it's laid out in 26 chapters.
I like the common sense advice that focuses on encouraging children to make their own good choices.  A couple of chapters didn't pertain to us (fear of pediatric visits, raising twins, raising girls...) but most did.  I read the book and highlighted sections in each chapter.  Now David's going through it and we're discussing it.  Good book - highly recommend if you have little ones of your own.

The Litwits (my local book club) are reading The Alienist this month and what a great choice for the spooky month of Halloween.  I had a hard time getting through the first few chapters of this book but really enjoyed the rest.  It's Historical Fiction set in NYC - a murder mystery and soon-to-be made movie starring Leonardo di Caprio.  Can't wait for our discussion tomorrow night!


So that's what I've been reading over the last month. 
Now, go link up - I can't wait to hear what you've been reading!

2 comments:

Ricki Treleaven said...

I am very intrigued with The Alienist. Our book club is meeting tomorrow night, and I have not finished the book yet. Yikes!

So, you are not *quite* a Twilight mom, LOL! Let's make a deal: You read The Mortal Instruments, and I'll read The Hunger Games. ;P

xoxoxoxo,
RJ

Unknown said...

Oh I'm adding The Alienest to my TBR pile, I hate to admit how much I love Leo but he is always fabulous in the roles that come from books like Shutter Island, the blew me away!

I enjoyed Twilight but I am much more a Hunger Games girl. Can't wait till that movie comes out "And may the odds be ever in your favor!" Said in my best Effie Trinket voice, pink hair and all.

Great Reviews, thanks for sharing
Caroline