Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Friday, January 6, 2012

Lightscoop Love

I asked for a Lightscoop for Christmas, and my cousin's wife Blair came through!
I was so excited to receive this because taking photos indoor in low light is a real issue for me.
In fact, it's one of my goals for January - to see if I can't improve my photos in this area.
I know it's not the camera - it's operator lack of knowledge.

I read about the Lightscoop on the New York Times website and saw it on a couple of blogs.
I was thrilled with the low price and decided to try it out.

Here is what the Lightscoop looks like,attached to the top of the camera - photo from the Lightscoop website.


And here's mine today.  I had to figure out things like exposure metering patterns, spot meter setting, and flash exposure compensation before I could play with it.  I've read all these things before but needed to figure it out again since I'm obviously no pro.



After only playing with it for 5 minutes, I have to say I am really, really happy with it.
Here are two quick views that I shot using the:
 (left) Lightscoop, (center) No Flash, and (right) Auto with Flash settings



I know from reading Scott Kelby's great intro to DSLR books that Auto with Flash is terrible for indoors. So I never use flash and set the speed high in low light. But I think the ones on the left with the Lightscoop are clearly better.

This is just a real quick look - I plan to do a lot more playing around and testing the difference with and without the Lightscoop in the coming weeks.  And the real test will be when I'm in a situation with low light indoors.  But for now - thrilled - thank you Blair!

Blog Disclaimer:  I was in no way compensated for this post.  The opinions are 100% mine.



1 comment:

Brandi said...

I'm anxious for a DSLR! The Lightscoop really made a difference in your pictures. Have fun playing with your new toy!