Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Sunday, January 8, 2012

What I've Been Reading

I had a chance to do a lot of reading over the Christmas Break and it was fantastic.
I now have 7 books started!!! and am making myself finish each of them before I check anything out at the library or start anything new! 

But here is what I have read in the last month.


The Litwits (my evening book club) chose Soul Survivor for our January book. 
This is not a book I would have ever picked up, but I think that's the point of a book club sometimes. 
I have no idea what I believe after reading it.  It's non-fiction but it's about reincarnation.
I went in looking for the 'charlatanism' that had to be there.  I couldn't really find it.
The parents frustrated me, the little boy spooked me, but it was a good read overall.
Have you read it?  What do you think?  I'm looking forward to our discussion at the end of the month.


Miss Ricki Jill got me started on the Mortal Instruments series in December and I have been busy working on them.  I read the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ones in the last couple of months (really fast reads!)
 I know Twilight lovers will really like this series.  I can't tell you why I like Harry Potter so much, but can't get into vampires and werewolves.  There's no accounting for it I guess. 

But if you like Twilight - then check out this series.  Who am I kidding?  This series is hugely popular.  If you love Twilight, then you've already devoured these books.

The 3rd was my favorite so far. 


And I shared this next book last month, but we've finished it now and I have to say it was fantastic.



My mom sent it to us to read with the boys. It was a terrific mix of world history, Christianity, famous characters, magic, humor, direct answers to questions, and sweet stories of Santa's/St. Nicholas's life.
I could see many kids might be bored with it, but Thomas and Brennan loved it.
They loved us reading it together, loved the characters and story lines, and surprised me by their enthusiasm over this book. Thanks Mama!


And this morning I finished reading 52 Small Changes on the Kindle.  It's the first book I've read on the Kindle and I think I'd like to have a hard copy of this book as well.  It's a great book about living the healthiest life possible - from the aspects of nutrition, exercise, emotional and spiritual focus, and environmental health.  I'm already looking for ways to incorporate a number of the suggestions in our family's lives.

Finally, I flipped through The Help again this month because I've joined a new book club and this is our first selection this month. A nice group of moms from the boys' school have started a club and I'm thrilled to get to know them better. We all seem to have similar reading interests.
I read The Help awhile back (in fact it was my favorite book of 2010) and I'm looking forward to the discussion next week as many of the ladies in this group had not read the book yet.
Loved the movie too - thought it did the book justice.

So, what have you been reading?



1 comment:

Ricki Treleaven said...

I was hoping you would like The Mortal Instruments *sadface* But I must admit that I like The Infernal Devices better! It is all Steampunk-Victorian-Goth.

By the way...I posted what our book club is reading this year today, and we are reading The Hunger Games! :D Every year we have a YA selection.

xoxoxoxoo,
RJ