Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Monday, July 25, 2011

Bubble Wands

Last year I saw these homemade bubble wands at Rhonda's blog and knew we had to try them out.
This weekend we got all the supplies and made two different versions.  These were a hit!


The supplies cost $7 to make two wands.  Plus the boys got to use Dad's tools in the garage.  Bonus!

For two wands you need:
2 48" Dowel rods - cut in half
4 eye hooks
2 washers
Cotton string (the thicker the better)
Distilled water
Regular diswashing liquid (not Ultra)
Liquid glycerin (find this at a pharmacy)
We got everything at Lowe's exacept the glycerin


You cut the dowel rods in half and then attach eye hooks to each end of the rods.


You then cut the cotton string into one 35 inch length and then another 70 inch length.  Slide the washer on the long string and attach both strings to either eye hook.

In this photo you can see how thin the cotton string was.  This was the only thickness Lowe's had. 

So once you get everything attached your wand should look like this. 

In a bucket you mix 6 cups of distilled water and 2 cups of Dawn dishwashing liquid and stir without creating a lather.  Then you add the glycerin.  Rhonda's directions called for 5-6 drops.  Other directions online called for 5-6 tablespoons.  We ended up adding about 4 tablespoons.  I don't think it's an exact science.

Then you dip your wands in the bubbles and walk backwards, making huge bubbles!

The thin string got tangled up pretty often so David bought thicker cotton string at Wal-Mart and the boys replaced the string on their wands,
omitting the washer this time. 
It worked much better. 

 
Day 2

Of course, they have my mopping bucket now and I suspect we'll keep adding water, detergent and glycerin to continue making lots of bubbles this summer.  So I guess that means I'm off the hook for mopping for awhile :)

Thanks to Rhonda (my Razorback friend) for an awesome summer outdoor activity!

5 comments:

Cassie @ Live.Laugh.L0ve. said...

Oh my gosh! This is neat. I'm going to have to do this with the boys, they will love it! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Really cool! Those are the larges bubbles I think I've ever seen!

Rhonda said...

So much fun!!! I have all the stuff to do it again this year, but it is so hot!! After seeing your boys do it, I know I need to do it this week, before school. It's just so much fun! I started off with thin string at first too, but changed...made a big difference. Hmmm, I'll have to look on my blog...hope I didn't recommend that. Great pictures and videos!

LindyLouMac said...

I want a go :)

Fernando Solis Eguiza said...

El NiƱo Y Tu Pilin