Home      About Me      Contact      My Family       Travels       The Kitchen       The Bar

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Fixing Up a Neglected Deck

We have a deck off our bedroom that we have never, ever used. 
It's really sad because it's a nice sized deck and it's very quiet in the backyard where it faces.
But, we've just neglected it for going on 7 years.


Birds have pulled stuff off the side of the house. 
Those leaves are from last Fall (if not the Fall before that).  So sad and neglected! 
I decided to turn it into a usable space.

The first thing I did was sweep it well and then I put down a fresh coat of stain - the same stain I had left over from our front porch staining project earlier this year.

I was amazed that cleaning and staining took less than 45 minutes.
Why hadn't I taken this on before??

Then yesterday Brennan and I took a trip to Lowe's where I picked up these two Adirondack chairs and the little plant.  Sooo much better!  And I love that blue.

Brennan and I sat out and read for a little while until it got too hot.
As soon as the temperatures dip down a little, I plan to sit out with an iced tea and read!
And maybe David and I can enjoy it in the evenings?

Befores (left) and Afters (right)

Total Costs:
Stain, Yellow Pot and Table $0 (used what I had)
Chairs $37 for 2
Plant $1 on clearance at Lowe's


From Neglected to Purposeful, Pretty Space - Priceless!






8 comments:

Cassie @ Live.Laugh.L0ve. said...

Very nice! =D

Brandi said...

You did a great job sprucing it up, looks like a nice place to sit and relax.

Paula@SweetPea said...

You created a very nice area to sit and relax. I didn't know that you have a pool. You mut really be enjoying it with the hot weather we've been having.

Ricki Treleaven said...

I love the architecture of your house, Bonnie. Great job on the deck!

Anna said...

great little space! Those type of chairs are very comfortable, we used to have some that were wood but they were too big to move when we moved house. Love the blue color too!

LindyLouMac said...

What a difference and I am sure you will use it all the time now you have the chairs. Great place to read Bonnie.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Great job!! And I love the blue chairs. So pretty!!!!


xoxoxoxoxo
Jen

Rhonda said...

Sounds like a plan...sweet tea and a book! ;) Great job!